On Camera Tips
Looking Your Best on Camera
To look best on camera, you’ll want to wear clothing pieces that help accentuate your best features and hide any unwanted shapes. In order to achieve this goal, you’ll want your wardrobe to look smooth, fitted, and void of any patterns.
What to wear:
- Pieces that are form fitting, but not tight. You want your clothes to hug your silhouette without squeezing it.
- Solid colors like blue and grey, or any other jewel tone.
- Fabrics with a smooth surface or texture.
- Clothing that will allow you to breathe if you are prone to perspire.
- Long sleeves if wearing a dress shirt, suit, or blouse.
- Shoes with a heel – dress shoes for men – as it will elongate the body and promote better posture.
What NOT to wear:
- Lose fitting or flowy fabrics that can add size and weight to your silhouette.
- Fabrics with complicated patterns or fabrics with visible thread patterns like tweed.
- Black as it absorbs light and can cause you to look flat and washed out.
- Pure white or bright colors such as yellow and orange.
- Pastels or faded colors as they tend to wash you out.
- Fabrics that are shiny or have too much sheen such as satin.
- Jewlery that is chunky, large, dangly, or too sparkly.
Hair & Makeup
Hair and Makeup is a must if you want to present your absolute best self on camera.
Ladies, be sure to apply at minimum: concealer, foundation, mascara, and lipstick. Style your hair however you like, but keep in mind that you’ll want to get some added volume to the top and sides of your head to keep your hair from looking flat and matted down. You’ll want to hair spray you style to last through the shoot. I would recommend having a professional do your hair and makeup to elevate your daily look.
Guys, this goes for you too! Using a small amount of concealer under your eyes and on any blemishes, along with a thin and light layer of foundation, can greatly improve your look and balance your skin tones. If you do not already own makeup, you can visit most makeup bars such as Sephora and Macy’s. They will help color match you and even offer to apply your makeup. Style your hair how you normally would and be sure to use a product that will give your hair a healthy look – hydrated and shiny – and keep it in place. You’ll also want to wear and bring lip balm to keep your lips hydrated as well.